An odourless, colourless gas, oxygen is generally considered non-toxic at atmospheric pressure.
The gas itself will not burn but supports and accelerates combustion. Materials not normally considered combustible might be ignited by sparks in oxygen-rich atmospheres.
Uses and Features of Oxygen
- In combination with a fuel gas such as acetylene, hydrogen or LPG, oxygen is used in welding, cutting, brazing, hardening, scarfing, flame cleaning, and heating.
- Oxygen is used in the manufacture of steel, glass, ethylene oxide, methanol, acrolein, titanium dioxide, vinyl acetate, and synthesis gas.
- Oxygen can be considered for use in any chemical reaction where air is used to give faster reaction time and higher yields. A typical use would be in the treatment of refuse and effluent.
- Ultra and high purity oxygen is used in laboratories, in process control operations and in metal analysis instruments and oxidation in semi-conductor production.
- Oxygen is widely used in medical treatment of respiratory disorders, anaesthetic, and hyperbaric chambers.
Visit the Afrox online store for more information and safe and secure shopping.